The Science and Technology Division of Assam Science Technology & Environment Council (ASTEC) had set up 219 numbers of Aryabhatta Science Centres in 219 development blocks of the state. The project is supported by Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of Assam. The first batch of the centres was launched on 28th February, 2008, on the National Science Day by the then Hon’ble Minister of Science and Technology, Govt. of Assam.
The objectives of Aryabhatta Science Centre are:
A room measuring minimum of 20 feet by 12 feet for the centre has been provided by hosting institution like schools, NGO’s etc. The centres have been provided with books, hand tools, experimental setup and so on for generating science and workshop based activities. Each centre is being run by a Coordinator who was trained up by ASTEC at Regional Science Centre, Khanapara. It is heartening to note that these centres have started generating S&T based activities at the block level.
Each year, the centres are given annual grant to carry out block level activities and to join the district and state level programmes. Coordinators of ASC are also given honorarium for such academic services towards growing children.
District Coordinators of Aryabhatta Science Centres have been appointed for all districts for monitoring the block level activities of Arybhatta Science Centre and for organization of the District Level Activities of Aryabhatta Science Centre with the coordination of District Administration.
The block level competitions include (a ) Science based extempore speech competition (b) Science based poster drawing competition (c ) Science and Technology Model making competition (exhibition) which are organized among the schools within that block. District level competitions are organized among the selected participants from the block level competitions.
The selected participants from district level competitions participate in the State level Competition which is organized by ASTEC in Guwahati.
It may be placed on record that the district administration is also extending all possible support for carrying out Centre’s activities at their level.
Facilities presently available at the Arybhatta Science Centres are as follows:
1. Audio visual system
(a) One TV set for each block level science centre
(b) One DVD player for each block level science centre.
(c ) 40 nos. of science video films to each centre.
2. Soil testing kit & Microbiology kit were also provided to each centre for helping the student as well as common people of the state.
3. Global Positioning System (GPS) for 140 nos. centres were provided covering all districts for local level geospatial data generation.
4. Science kits for conducting 30 nos. of experiments at school level, covering physics, chemistry and biology.
5. A Telescope( refracting type, 80 mm aperture, focal length 900 mm ) is provided to all Aryabhatta Science Centres
6. Electrification of all Aryabhatta Science centres of the state with solar home lighting systems.
7. 81 nos. of centres are provided building grant for construction of Assam Type house with an area of 44sq.m. till date. Rest of the centres would be taken up in near future.
POSTER DRAWING COMPETITION
EXTEMPORE SPEECH COMPETITION
MODEL MAKING COMPETITION
TRAINING & DISTRIBUTION OF TELESCOPES TO ARYABHATTA SCIENCE CENTRE (26th-28th September 2013)
GROOMING AND MENTORING OF STUDENTS
ORIENTATION PROGRAMME FOR NEW COORDINATORS OF ARYABHATTA SCIENCE CENTRE